Sunday, March 21, 2010

4. Poetry

I like reading a good poem every now and then. However, I do not like writing them. During my sophomore year, my English class did an in-depth study of famous poets and their works. At the end, we, the students, were required to write our own poem. We were told to write about our inner emotions and let our feelings exude out of us. My teacher wanted us to capture the essence of poetry: compact writing embedded with a heartfelt message. Something personal that we want to share with others. I wrote about my favorite video game. I got an F for the assignment.

I'm sorry, but I'm not a very emotional person. After reading the works of Langston Hughes, Robert Frost, Maya Angelou and countless others, I realized that my greatest worries in life are trivial. They're trying to free an entire culture from oppression. After reading their poems, I can't write about how sad I was when my dog died.

I'm just not cut out for poetry. I'm not expressive even when I'm talking so there's no way I'm going to be pouring my heart out in a poem. So instead of writing poems, I prefer reading them. Here's one of the first poems I've ever read. I've added a visual in case you're not a poem person either and prefer pictures.


Messy Room by Shel Silverstein

Whosever room this is should be ashamed!
His underwear is hanging on the lamp.His raincoat is there in the overstuffed chair,
And the chair is becoming quite mucky and damp.
His workbook is wedged in the window,
His sweater's been thrown on the floor.
His scarf and one ski are beneath the TV,
And his pants have been carelessly hung on the door.
His books are all jammed in the closet,His vest has been left in the hall.
A lizard named Ed is asleep in his bed,
And his smelly old sock has been stuck to the wall.
Whosever room this is should be ashamed!
Donald or Robert or Willie or--
Huh? You say it's mine? Oh, dear,
I knew it looked familiar!

No comments:

Post a Comment